- Saturday 14th May 2016, 6-7.30 pm, Hawk's Well Theatre, Sligo. A reading with Jane Clarke, Shirley McClure & workshop participants from Shirley & Jane's half-day workshop on the same day, Writing From Stillness (see below).
- Bealtaine Festival: Bray Active retirement Creative Writing Group invites you to an evening of readings, stories & music at Café Letterario, Albert walk, Bray on Thursday 12th May at 7.30 p.m. All welcome.
- Friday, 22nd July, 11.15, reading & interview with Shirley in Bantry Bookshop, Bantry, as part of West Cork Literary festival. Festival programme is here.
- Publication: 'Feedback' is published in Poetry Ireland's 'Trumpet 5, Spring 2016'. Link here.
Courses & Workshops by Shirley McClure & others
- Making Space - Mindfulness & Creative Writing Workshop, Shirley McClure & Josephine Lynch
Sunday 17th April 2016, NOW ON Saturday 25th June, 10 am to 4 pm. Making Space - a one-day workshop of mindfulness & creative writing with Josephine Lynch & Shirley McClure.
"The whole sky is yours to write on, blown open to a blank page". Rita Dove, from 'Dawn Revisited'.
Making Space invites you to slow down, expand your awareness and connect with your own creativity. The workshop introduces examples from short stories and poetry as well as gentle mindfulness techniques to lead you into writing. If you are feeling personally hemmed in or creatively stuck, this day may help unlock those feelings and provide ways to open what appears closed.
Course location: The Mindfulness Centre, 33 Lower Pembroke Street, Dublin 2.
Course cost: €65 (Some concession rates available for the unemployed)
Book online: Mindfulness.ie Or phone: 086-603 4481 Open to all.
Josephine Lynch MA has been teaching mindfulness in Dublin for over 10 years. She is co-founder and director of The Mindfulness Centre where she and colleagues run 8 week courses and classes, workshops, drop-in sessions, in addition to working with organisations. She is also a teacher on the MSc in Mindfulness in UCD.
- Bray Active Retirement Association Writers' Group meets on Tuesdays from 2-4 pm at the Parish Centre, Herbert Road, Bray. Term runs from January 26th - March 15th. Open to members of the
association. €40 per term. Re-starts September 2016.
- Saturday 14th May 2016, 2-4.30 pm, Hawk's Well Theatre, Sligo. Writing from Stillness : A workshop with Jane Clarke & Shirley McClure, to be followed by a reading by course leaders and participants (see above). This workshop invites you to slow down and connect with your own creativity. Simple mindfulness techniques are used prior to writing. Booking via the Hawk's Well Theatre.
- Sunday 26th June 2016, 10.30-3.30, Stoking Your Fire: Keep Writing workshop with Shirley McClure, for people who have been writing for some time. Includes writing exercises & work-shopping writing which you bring along. A light lunch will be provided. Max 12 participants.
2 Pakenham Villas, Monkstown, Co. Dublin. Cost €55. To book, email Shirley.
- Saturday 23rd July 2016, 10 am- 4 pm, Potent Wizards – writing from Our Senses - a one-day workshop of creative writing at The Sanctuary, Stanhope Street, Dublin 7. Cost: €65
Smell is a potent wizard that transports us across thousands of miles and all the years we have lived. - Helen Keller
Spend a sensory-infused day exploring the five senses & creating new pieces of writing.
Booking via The Sanctuary.
Tel: +353 1 670 5419 Email: The Sanctuary's email.
|John Foggin's cobweb carried a very
positive reflection on Shirley's poetry under the title
"Polished gem: Shirley McClure" here.
|Shirley's poem, 'Feedback', has appeared in the Spring
2016 edition of Trumpet, published by Poetry Ireland.
||Shirley's poem, 'Stone Dress', has won First Prize in
this year's PENfro Poetry Competition, Wales. Full
results, including the judges' comments on the top three
prizewinners, are now on the website here.
Launch of Stone Dress : Shirley McClure's second collection
Reading tour 2015 to launch the CD Spanish Affair - all proceeds to Arklow Cancer Support Group - & Jane Clarke's new book The River
Courthouse Arts Centre, Tinahely, Co. Wicklow
Shirley McClure, Jane Clarke, and classical guitarist, Eamon Sweeeny, will give a performance of poetry and music on Thursday 24th September at 8.30pm.
University of Alicante, Spain
A reading by Jane Clarke & Shirley McClure on Thursday 1st October at 6 pm at La Seu,
University of Alicante, 57-59 C/Purissima, Benissa, Alicante. Afterwards there will be wine and
nibbles in the Meeting room.
Dingle Library, Kerry
Jane & Shirley read at Dingle Library, Green street, Dingle on Thursday 29th October at 7.30 pm.
There will be music in between the readings.
Books Upstairs, Dublin
A reading by Paula Cunningham, Rosie Shepperd, Jane Clarke & Shirley McClure at Books
Upstairs, 17 D'Olier Street, Dublin 2.
Becoming more present: Mindfulness & Creative Writing, a workshop with Josephine Lynch,
mindfulness teacher, and Shirley McClure, facilitator of creative writing. Saturday, 31st October
from 10-1 at The Mindfulness Centre, 33 Lr Pembroke St. Cost: €30
Bray Arts, Bray
A performance of poetry and music from Spanish Affair with Eamon Sweeney, Katie Donovan,
Jane Clarke, Lizzy Morrissey and Shirley McClure, Monday 5th October at the Martello Hotel,
Strand Road, Bray. 8 pm.
Imagine Festival, Waterford
A reading by Shirley McClure and Jane Clarke at Waterford Book Centre, as part of the Imagine Festival. 3 pm.
The CD Spanish Affair can be bought online from the Arklow Cancer Support Group website.
Launch of Spanish Affair : CD by Shirley McClure and friends
The CD, Spanish Affair, was launched at 2
packed-out events in the Irish Writers' Centre, Dublin, and
the Presbyterian Hall, Arklow. Many thanks to all who
contributed, who came along, and who bought the CD - all
proceeds went to Arklow Cancer Support Group
If you could not attend, the CD can still be bought online from the Arklow Cancer Support Group website.
Launch of Bray Now and Then
The Little Bray Family
Resource & Development Centre Project, Bray Now and
Then: Building Community Expression through Creative
Writing , a poster exhibition of stories, poems and
memories by writers from The Little Bray Writers Group
(Coordinated by Shirley McClure) was launched by novelist
and former TD Liz McManus on Thursday 4th September 2014, at Signal
Arts Centre, 1 Albert Avenue, Bray, Co. Wicklow. After
running in the Signal Arts Centre in September, it moved to
the library, Eglinton Road, Bray for October, and is now at
the Bray DART station, platform 1.
was the Winner of Listowel Writers' Week Single Poem
originals competition, 2014.
November 2013 saw the launches of two anthologies of writings by groups which Shirley facilitates:
Support Group produced 'Welcome- writings by ACSG',
which was launched by Anne Doyle, RTE at the Arklow
Bay Hotel. The group has been writing together for
two years now, and it was a delight to hear Anne
Doyle's encouraging comments on their stories and
poems. Congratulations to all the writers and
artists involved, and especially to Director of
Services, Mary O'Brien. The book is available at €10
in local Arklow shops: Burkes Lower Main St.- Adrian
Dunne Pharmacy, Holly's Pharmacy, John Flood's Man
Shop. McMullens and Bracken's Wexford road. and
direct from the centre at 25 King's Hill Arklow,
Co.Wicklow. Tel: 0402 23590. All proceeds go to
Arklow Cancer Support Group.
|Group photos by Barbara Flynn.||
Later that month, Liz McManus launched 'These Things Happen,' a collection of writings by members of Bray Active Retirement Association's creative writing group. A copy of the book was presented to the President, Michael D. Higgins, on the same day. This group continues to meet weekly on Tuesday afternoons and new members are welcome at the beginning of any term. Spring term starts on 11th February 2014. Contact me to join or to purchase a book (€5). They are almost all sold! Well done all the writers, and cover artist Colm McCormack for the beautiful image of Martello Terrace, Bray.
Shirley teaches creative writing to a number of groups in the Wicklow/ Dublin region, and is available to work with community and health-related groups as well as the general public.
Who's Counting? may be purchased online from Bradshaw Books - use the horizontal scroll to find it in the list.